Thank you for your interest in Mentoring or Judging early-stage healthcare companies that participate in the many MedStartr programs including, but not limited to, in 30 rooms a week in our new MedStartr Healthcare Innovation Club on clubhouse. Mentors form a key part of our community and have since our very first days. More recently we have seen Mentors join teams enabling rapid growth, become MedStartr Fund Investors, and getting more engaged than ever in myriad ways. If you have received an invitation to apply, you have our sincere appreciation and respect for your contributions to healthcare innovation. If you are a new applicant, we look forward to meeting you and learning how you can help our MedStartrs drive innovation faster and better than ever and how we can help you.
What do Mentors Do?
That is up to you, but at the very minimum, we will ask you to review applications in your areas of interest for contests and to support or advise early-stage healthcare companies involved in our programs as you are inspired to. It can be as simple as tweeting or backing a project on MedStartr.com or judging a MedMo pitch contest, or as deep as becoming an adviser, partner, pilot site, investor, champion, early adopter, or even joining a team as one of our Mentors did just before this MedStartr Portfolio Company grew sales by fifty-fold! People become MedStartr Mentors for the same reasons we all work in healthcare innovation, to make it go better and faster. This is not to discount self-interest, getting involved as a MedStartr Mentor is a great way to build your health innovation experience, useful in any career and most organizations. One of the reasons that our mentor network is so strong is because people who get involved tend to rise to become the heads of major programs, companies, and initiatives. People like Michelle Longmire, MD (Medable), Richard Park, MD (CityMD, Ascend Ventures), Eugene Borukhovich (Medco, Bayer, YourHeath.Coach) Sonny Vu (AgaMatrix, Misfit, Fossil, Arevo) Cris DeLuca (J&J, Sanofi Ventures), Jon Gordon (NYP Ventures, Winter Street Ventures, LifePod), Brent Stackhouse (Mt. Sinai Ventures), Fred Trotter (CareSet), and Regina Holliday (73 cents, The Walking Gallery) and so many more that all first engaged with MedStartr early in their careers and we are happy to have been able to help and to call MedStartr Mentors today.
How Does it Work?
Based upon your stated areas of interest, we will send you updates on live projects and projects about to go live. You can opt-in to the projects and get involved on any levels you wish, connecting directly with the innovators. We also will ask you to participate in events and challenges as reviewers, judges, and panelists around the world. The hottest, cutting edge ideas are coming through MedStartr and if you want in early, this is the place to get to know these companies earlier than anywhere else.
How Does Judging work?
We often need expert judges for challenges like this one going on right now (October 2020.) Apply here and we will add you to our crowd of judges where appropriate. Our online judging system on every project (bottom right corner of every project page) in the challenge or the startups pitching makes it really easy to add your thoughts and help get involved in helping the best ideas get out to market faster. Your help makes all the difference and is greatly appreciated by both our fund and the startups!
Benefits of Being a MedStartr Mentor
As a MedStartr Mentor you will enjoy some or all of the following benefits:
- 🚀 First look and first access to some of the hottest innovations in healthcare (great for institutional or corporate leaders and investors!) Companies in your areas of interest can be emailed to you as they appear on the MedStartr.com platform – daily or in a weekly summary🦄
- 📲 Instant communications with anyone in the MedStartr Global Community: normally a member of the community on the MedStartr Site must request permission to communicate, like on Linkedin. As a MedStartr Mentor, you do not need to ask permission
- 🙋🏽♂️ Inclusion in our Investment Review Forums where you will hear from one of our portfolio companies and at least one team in our investment pipeline. Your input will be important in our final investment decision and you or your organization can benefit from our industry-leading selection process and due diligence program (NDA required)
- 👩🏻🏫 as a MedStartr Mentor on MedStartr and on Linkedin. Note: your Title on Linkedin should be “Mentor” and link to the MedStartr company profile. Description can be, “Contribute to the process of selecting and accelerating companies on the MedStartr platform, crowd challenges, and portfolio. Act as a subject matter expert in the areas of [insert areas of expertise]” For many, like this gastroenterologist, it helped her transition from being just a physician and occasional medical commentator on CNN to becoming far more sought after for media interviews, Board memberships, and her first Cheif Medical Officer position
- 👨🏾💻 Inclusion in MedStartr Mentor Network listing, events and programs
- 👩🏼⚖️ Inclusion in panels and judging opportunities at our events locally in your area or virtually
- 🗣️ Invitations to speak at our events and those of our partner events around the world and in your city
- 🕸️ Access to the MedStartr Network of over 120,000 innovators and investors with warm introductions upon request
- 📈 Access to all special investment opportunities (accredited and institutional investors only)
- 🎉 Invitations to special events for our fund LPs, Mentors, Venture Partners, portfolio CEOs, and selected watch list companies
- ⚖️ Higher weighting of your judging and crowd-validation responses at our events and on MedStartr.com
- 🚀 Opportunities to participate in our MedStartr Acceleration Program (MAP) with 1:1 access to our newest portfolio and accelerator companies. This generally kicks off with a week in NYC twice a year and goes for three years for 20-30 high potential startups per year but was virtual in 2020 and will be on clubhouse in 2021.
- 📊 Access to Judging data in contests you participate in
- 💪🏻 Helps you get more involved in innovation in medicine have an impact on the success of new ideas that will help millions live longer, better lives
- 👨🏫 Looks great on your linkedin Profile and helps you build your brand as a healthcare innovation leader!!
- 😎 …and a really cool MedMo World Tour t-shirt!
Sounds great right! But wait, there’s more
How to Apply to be a MedStartr Mentor:
Step 1: Login to MedStartr and join the Global Community, we suggest you use Linkedin to login as it brings over all your data and helps us validate your credentials
Step 2: Fill out your interests with all the types of innovations you are interested in.
Step 3: Apply to be a mentor by checking the “Apply to be a Mentor” box on your profile. Click the Judge and / or Speaker boxes too if you like!
After you do that we will get back to you promptly and start sending you projects not long thereafter.
Thanks for all you do to drive healthcare innovation forward. We look forward to your application!